Day 8 Saturday

Hi All,

Hope you excuse me for not finishing blogging. I got in Saturday at 12:30am Sunday
morning and I was simply exhausted and I was going back home Sunday am.

So what follows is what happened on Saturday.
I got to the tournament early to get a close parking spot and I’m glad I did.
I put on some makeup, ate some breakfast and made some phone calls
from my car. I parked close but not real close.

I was in time to watch the first semi-final which was Fish & Murray; then I was in the press room for the Djokovic & Berdych match which I could watch a little bit. Than iat 7pm in the evening Sharapove & Zvonareva follwed  by Jankovic & Petkovic.
Fish and Murray was an excellent match with Murray winning.
Djokovic and Berdych was strange with Berdych quitting with a shoulder injury, I mean retiring after losing the first set.

I worked 5pm to close in the pressroom but 2 of the young guys were suppose to work double shifts and forgot to stay so I am in the pressroom 5-6, museum monitor 6-7,
and 7 to close in the interview room. So I’ll be doing a little of everything.

Just to go over what I do in the interview room. I put the name of the person to be interviewed on the table along with the ATP or WTA cube. I put a clean towel on their seat. Put a bottle of Evian on the table because they are the sponsors. Make sure the lights are on and than go to the back of the room and put in an audio cassette with their name and date on it and roll record. When finished I stop and rewind the tape and walk it back around the corner to a woman who puts it in an envelope with the persons name and date on it for future use.

Berdych was the first one in the interview room to talk about his retireing.
He just basically said his shoulder was sore. A reporter asked him if he and Federer went
3 sets would he of been able to make it.  He said “no”. Too bad he didn’t retire against
Djokovic came in next and said he could tell there was something wrong with Berdych’s
shoulder so he wasn’t surprised that he retired.

The ladies started their matches and Sharapova beat Zvonareva.  It’s hard to give an interview after you have lost and you have to go to the interview room and have a reporter ask “what happened?”  You have to keep your cool and be courteous.
When Sharapova came in she was elated to make it to the finals. She admitted her and Jankovic which she might play in the final have an issue with each other.

The women’s matches were late and while Sharapova was playing Zevonareva,  Jankovic was in the players lounge, which was to the right of the interview room, alone with her mom and her coach. All the players were gone now except for her and her opponent. Kinda lonely at this point.

Finally Jankovic and Petrovic went on with Jankovic being victorious.

Eventually Jankovic came into the interview room and was elated she was in the final.  She thought she played very well. Couldn’t wait to play Maria.
Petrovic showed up in the interview room and she is just a delight. If anyone had a true injury which would cause you to retire it was her. She said after her last match in the quarters she heard something in her knee pop and her knee started to swell and she was afraid it was her acl which she tore 2 years ago and it took her at least 8 months to come back to compete. So she started to cry for about an hour and called her coach. They did an MRI on her knee and she continued to cry until she got the results. She also said her parents heard about her knee and did not want her to play the semi’s. She said her parents called her and everybody else, her coach, the WTA, the tournament director, and she said her parents wanted to shut the tournament down. She was so embarrassed. The results showed she had a meniscus tear but that they could wrap it up and she could play. She said she would rather die than default or retire. That when she goes to a concert and pays alot of money or travels far to get to it and the band plays for only 45 minutes she gets pissed. She appreciates the fans and wouldn’t want to disappoint them.

Far cry from some of the other players who retired in their matches who could care less about the fans.

I was watching Access Hollywood 2 nights ago in the early am and they were talking about the Kardashian wedding and they were interviewing some young starlet who was at the wedding and she said “yeah me and Serena Williams were at the wedding dancing all night long.” What happened to Serena’s sore right toe that she had to default her 2nd round match in Cincinnati? Some people have a conscious and others do not.

At 11pm the interviews were not over yet, all the security guards were told to leave and go home. That meant there was no one guarding the interview room or in the elevators or even in the parking lot.

After the last interview I put everything away and said my goodbyes and went up into the press room and said my goodbyes there.
When I got on the elevator I was the only one one in there. The pressroom was on Floor 4 and I needed to go to the ground floor. The elevator stopped on Floor 3 and a guy with a bucket and mop got  on mopping the elevator floor and boxed me in.  It was the 1st time I got a little bit concerned.  The elevator went down to the next floor with just us 2 on it and the doors opened and 2 people wanted to get on it and he wouldn’t let them because he said the floor was wet. So down we went alone again to the ground floor. He let me out and nothing happened but I was a little scared. So I head out and I usually bum a ride to my car which is usually parked pretty far away. This time it was closer but parked in the middle of a field instead of along the front or sides of the lot. I looked around and all the parking attendants were gone. It’s now after midnight and most of the cars and people are also gone.  So I had to walk to my car and luckily I had a flashlight, well I found my car safe and sound and I got in it okay and took off. It was the only part of volunteering that I didn’t like. How far away you had to park.

My last report will be Day 9 Sunday

Signing off,







Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s